Here in Canada, we have just completed our federal elections.  Personally, I find it difficult to choose which party to vote for.  Some of my friends are tried and true party diehards and they will vote for their chosen party every election.  I like to listen to the platforms and see which party policies make the most sense for me.  Granted, not one party  perfectly aligns with my beliefs.  I try to decide based on the policies I think will best determine the future of this country.  It can get very complicated and lead to some very heated discussions with family and friends.

Thankfully with sewing, there are not usually so many variations to the construction of a project.  Take for instance, the right side versus wrong side to a fabric.  Most times, it is obvious which side to choose.  Sometimes, however  one can walk on the wild side and choose to make a garment using the ‘wrong’ side.

When the store received this sweater knit fabric, there was some debate as to which side was the ‘right’ side since some of us liked the defined black and white contrast, while others preferred the muted grey.  With the cooler weather, I decided to make McCall’s pattern 7846.

The pattern description reads:

Very loose-fitting ponchos have neckline, opening and length variations. A, B: Pullover poncho with collar. C: Front opening with separating zipper. D: Pullover poncho with purchased decorative toggles.  For moderate stretch knits only.

Based on the measurements for a 100cm bust size, I made a size L.  I liked the zipper detail, so decided to make style C first.

The pattern itself is very easy to put together.  One comment about this design C, is the neckline is very wide.  I was careful to not stretch the neckline when putting in the bias tape however I find it gapes.  I am currently considering threading a narrow elastic behind the bias tape to tighten up the neckline.  Or I could knit myself a chunky scarf to wear to fill in the neckline.  Maybe!

Another comment I have about this pattern, is that the instructions for the mitered corner in the hem didn’t work for me.  The way I read the instructions resulted in a squared off corner, not an angled corner for the miter.  What I did instead was fold the point over on their suggested stitching line to get the correct angle for the miter.  (The sample pictures are shown in a less distracting texture fabric.)

Another comment about this design is that the shoulder dart placements were too narrow for me.  When sewn, and if I fit one shoulder dart to my shoulder, the other shoulder dart ends up along my shoulder blade.  So I had to move the darts apart by a total of 2″.

Because the pattern piece is essentially a long and narrow rectangle that runs along the selvedge and the width of the pattern piece for the shorter length does not reach the middle fold line, I was left with a long and narrow piece to make something else.  So I decided to also make style A.  But using the reverse side of the fabric.

With the yardage I had left, there was not enough to cut the collar as one piece.  Instead I pieced it at roughly the halfway point.  Note I made an angled cut.  This way I wouldn’t get the seam bulk all at the centre back.  If you go this route, just remember to add seam allowances on your angled cuts or your collar piece will be too short.

I do admit I like style A better since it is a cozier design with the collar.  As to which side of the fabric I like better, I actually like both!  Thankfully I don’t have to choose, since I have essentially the same garment using both sides of the fabric.